Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Mathematics and Art

As Victoria Vesna mentioned, it is common to be biased towards math or art while growing up. Even though I was always fond of math, I enjoyed art as well and took a few art classes outside school. Even though I was exposed to both disciplines, I never noticed the strong overlap. Victoria Vesna’s lecture, covering the historical origins of art and how artists incorporated mathematics to improve art, was very enlightening.

To a casual observer like myself, Giotto’s paintings do indeed have depth perception, however it is difficult to understand the geometry creating the depth perception. The image with lines explains, that by inclining lines above eye level upwards and below eye level downwards, as they moved away from the observer, Giotto was able to implement depth perception in his paintings. The concepts of the vanishing point and the golden ratio are equally fascinating.



It is extremely fascinating how the Fibonacci spiral, a depiction of the golden ratio, has been observed everywhere in nature, from fruit-lets of a pineapple to the galaxies of the Universe.



Looking back at my school days, I remember studying symmetry as a chapter in Math. However, oddly enough, our perception of human beauty, a very artistic notion, is also defined in part by symmetry. As mentioned in an article in The Economist it has been established by biologists that symmetrical people are more attractive.




Last summer I visited the infamous Louvre museum in Paris. The art was indeed enrapturing, but I think still missed out as I was only viewing the art in isolation. I missed identifying the vanishing point, or the golden rectangles used in the Mona Lisa, or the beauty of the symmetry. I have changed my perspective of both art and science and I am certain I will appreciate the Louvre much more if I go back to visit Paris someday. 


References

"Does the 'Earlier Version' Display Leonardo's Mathematical Principles? - The Mona Lisa Foundation." The Mona Lisa Foundation. N.p., 12 Sept. 2012. Web. 07 Apr. 2015. <http://monalisa.org/2012/09/12/leonardo-and-mathematics-in-his-paintings/>.
"Facing the Facts." The Economist. The Economist Newspaper, 16 Aug. 2014. Web. 07 Apr. 2015. <http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21609537-theory-about-why-symmetrical-faces-attract-has-just-fallen-wayside-facing>.
"Gods Fingerprint→ The Fibonacci Sequence - Golden Ratio and The Fractal Nature of Reality." YouTube. YouTube, 4 May 2014. Web. 07 Apr. 2015. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VrcO6JaMrM>.
Tyler, Cristopher, and Michael Kubovy. "Perspective: The Role of Perspective: Page 2." Perspective: The Role of Perspective: Page 2. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 Apr. 2015. <http://www.webexhibits.org/sciartperspective/perspective2.html>.
Vesna, Victoria. "Mathematics-pt1-ZeroPerspectiveGoldenMean.mov." YouTube. YouTube, 9 Apr. 2012. Web. 07 Apr. 2015. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMmq5B1LKDg>.







1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I truly agree with you on the importance of vanishing point in paintings. You mentioned the concept of depth perception, I believe it is from the relative positions and proportions of different objects. The vanishing line theory makes objects more organized in space and therefore more realistic. I also like your example of symmetric human beauty. However, I realize that we appreciated more nowadays on unsymmetrical designs which seem to be a new fasion.

    ReplyDelete